Simple, easy preparation makes Amaretto Cream Filled Cake (Zuccotto Ripieno) an intoxicating delight. Delicious nutty flavors!
Amaretto Cream Filled Cake (Zuccotto Ripieno)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 sponge cake
- 1/2 Cup hazelnuts
- 1/4 Cup amaretto
- 1/4 Cup light rum
- 1 1/3 Cups whipping cream
- 1/3 Cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 Cup almonds; blanched, chopped, toasted
- 1/4 Cup cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate; grated
- Bake hazelnuts in ungreased baking pan at 400 degrees F. for 5 minutes or until skins begin to crack. Wrap hazelnuts in clean towel. Let stand 2 minutes. Rub hazelnuts in towel to remove skins.
- Chop hazelnuts. Return to baking pan. Bake about 8 minutes until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Cool.
- Cut 4-inch circle from cake. Cut remaining cake into 1-inch pieces. Mix together amaretto and rum and sprinkle over cake.
- Line large bowl with waxed paper. Butter waxed paper.
- Place cake circle on bottom of bowl. Line side of bowl with three-fourths of the cake pieces.
- Beat together whipping cream and powdered sugar in chilled medium bowl until stiff. Fold in hazelnuts, almonds and chocolate.
- Spoon filling into cake-lined bowl. Place remaining cake pieces on filling. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours.
- Invert onto serving plate.
- Remove bowl and waxed paper.
- Mix together the powdered sugar and cocoa powder in a bowl. Spread it over the Zuccotto by sieving it, creating a dusting.
- Sprinkle with additional grated chocolate if desired.