Alsatian Cassoulet offers a flavorful, vegetarian meal that will be savored by your family and guests. Expect requests for second helpings.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Main Course
Serves: 8 servings
- 1 large red cabbage; thinly sliced
- 2 large heads cauliflower; cut into florets
- 2 Cups cooked seitan; chopped *
- 2 Cups unpeeled apples; sliced
- 2 Cups white beans; cooked
- 2 Tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1/2 Cup shallots; chopped
- 3 Cups vegetable stock or dark beer
- 1 Tablespoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Cup whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 450 deg. F.
- Combine all ingredients, except flour, in a large roasting pan or casserole dish. Sprinkle top with flour.
- Place in oven and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 250 deg. F. Cover and cook for 20 hours, stirring occasionally. Serve hot.
* Seitan is protein-rich food made from wheat gluten. It has a firm, meat-like texture with a neutral flavor. Its mildness allows it to take on the flavor of other foods when cooked. Seitan is also sold as wheat gluten, a powdered form that can be mixed with water. See https://www.epicurus.com/Glossary/seitan-2/6979/
A dark beer and coarse country bread go perfectly with this dish.