These delicious cookies are a favorite of young children learning to read. They also make great gifts for adults. Give a friend their initials in cookies.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Cookies
- 1 1/2 sticks butter
- 3/4 Cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract (to taste)
- 2 Cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- milk for brushing on top of cookies
- sugar for decorating
- Use an electric mixer and beat butter until soft. Add 3/4 cup sugar and beat until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla or almond flavoring and beat again.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt together and add to butter-sugar-egg mixture a little bit at a time. Divide the dough into 2 parts, wrap in plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to get hard enough to play with like modeling clay. Then make small balls of dough and roll into ropes.
- Shape the ropes into numbers or letters on an ungreased cookie sheet, leaving a little space between them. Brush with a little milk, sprinkle on a bit of sugar and bake at 375 degrees F for about 10 minutes. Cool on a rack.
Decorate with a variety of glazes in different colors, royal icing, or colored sprinkles as you please. You may also roll the dough, and use alphabet shaped cookie cutters.