Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Breads and Rolls
Serves: 1 loaf, 16 slices
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries
- 1-3/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 Cup butter, softened
- 2/3 Cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 Cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1/2 Cup chopped macadamia nuts or walnuts
- 1 Tablespoon raw brown sugar (optional)
- Drain maraschino cherries, reserving 2 tablespoons juice. Cut cherries in quarters; set aside. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine butter, 2/3 cup brown sugar, eggs and reserved cherry juice; mix on medium speed of electric mixer until ingredients are thoroughly combined. Add flour mixture and mashed bananas alternately, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in cherries and nuts. Lightly spray a 9x5x3-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Spread batter evenly in pan. Sprinkle batter with raw brown sugar, if desired.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven 1 hour, or until golden brown and wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Remove from pan; let cool on wire rack. Store in a tightly covered container.
Bananas and macadamia nuts accented with cherries bring home a tropical taste.