A lovely almond jelly with roots in Chinese cuisine.
Almond Tea Jelly
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Jams and Jellies
Serves: 1 batch
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) ground almonds
- 2 Tablespoons ground rice
- 1/2 pint milk
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon gelatin
- Here are a couple of recipes for almond pudding. There are lots of variations of this dish some using dairy products, some using gelatin and some using agar agar and some combining them. It IS good! This first one is more "from scratch". The second uses almond extract.
- Mix the almonds and rice in a bowl with 2 pints (5 cups) cold water, cover and leave for 2 hours. Strain through a fine muslin into a large bowl. Add milk and mix well.
- Stand the bowl in a large saucepan with enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the bowl. Cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sugar, stir well and leave to cool slightly. Mix the gelatin with 2 Tablespoons (2 1/2 T) hot water until dissolved. Stir into the milk mixture when almost cold. Mix well and pour into a shallow serving dish. Leave until set.
Source: The Gourmet's Guide to Chinese Cooking, Ann Body.