There are powerful forces at work in Almond-Streusel Peach Pie, creating incredible flavor and fantastic taste in each bite. Superb.
Almond-Streusel Peach Pie
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Baked Goods
- 2 Cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 10 Tablespoons butter; chilled
- 2 Tablespoons shortening; chilled
- 1 Cup brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1/2 Cup almonds; sliced
- 1 lemon
- 9 peaches; about 3 pounds
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 Tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- Combine 1 cup flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Cut in 4 tablespoons of butter and the shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal with a few pea-sized pieces remaining. Sprinkle in 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water, a tablespoon at a time, until dough just comes together. Gather into a disk. Wrap and chill at least 30 minutes.
- Combine remaining cup of flour, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. Cut in remaining 6 tablespoons of butter until crumbly. Stir in almonds. Chill.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out chilled pie pastry to fit a 9" pie pan. Fit pastry into pan. Trim and flute edges. Chill.
- Heat oven to 475. Grate 1 teaspoon of lemon zest from the lemon and squeeze 1 tablespoon of juice.
- Peel peaches and slice. Combine with remaining 2/3 cup brown sugar, remaining 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, lemon zest and juice, cornstarch and almond extract.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over bottom of pie shell and fill with peach mixture.
- Sprinkle almond crumb mixture on top.
- Bake 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350. Continue baking until top is browned and fruit juices are bubbling, 50 to 55 minutes.
- Cool completely before cutting.