Almond Spice Cookies
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Cookies
- 4 Cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Cup butter
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 Cup dark brown sugar; firmly packed
- 3 large or jumbo eggs; (extra)
- 10 ounces slivered blanched almonds (2 1/2 to 3 cups)
- These cookies go well with after dinner coffee or tea.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, ginger, salt and baking soda and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter. Add the coffee, almond extract, granulated and brown sugars and beat well. Add the eggs one at a time until smooth after each addition. On low speed gradually add the sifted dry ingredients, scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula and beating only until the mixture is smooth. Gently mix in the almonds.
- Spread out two pieces of wax paper. place large spoonfuls of the dough lengthwise on each piece of paper to form heavy strips about 10-11 inches long. Fold the long sides of the paper p against the dough and, pressing against the paper with your hands, shape each strip of dough into a smooth oblong 12 inches long, 3 inches wide, and about 1 inch thick. Wrap the dough in the wax paper.
- Slide a cookie sheet under both packages of dough and transfer them to the freezer or refrigerator for several hours or overnight. This slices best when dough is frozen solid.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Unwrap one roll of dough at a time. Place dough on a cutting board. With a very sharp knife cut the dough into 1/4-inch slices and place them 1 to 1 1/2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake the cookies for about 10-12 minutes at 375 degrees F. The cookies are done when they are slightly colored and spring back when lightly pressed with a fingertip.
- Yield: 4 dozen.