Sweet, nutty and crunchy, these wonderful Almond-Raisin Biscotti are packed with delightful flavor and delectable texture. Perfect with coffee, team, or espresso. Biscotti are twice-baked. First, the loaf is made and baked, then while still soft, it is cut into slices that are again baked to toast them.
- 3 large eggs separated
- 1 1/2 Cups sugar
- 1/3 Cup (5 1/3 Tablespoons) butter, melted and cooled
- 1 Cup lightly toasted and coarsely chopped almonds
- 1/2 Cup raisins -- * see note
- 2 Tablespoons chopped candied orange peel, or
- 3 Tablespoons orange zest, grated
- 3 1/2 Cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Butter a baking sheet or line it with parchment. In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks with 3/4 cup of the sugar until light and the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in the melted butter, almonds, raisins and orange peel. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until they just begin to form peaks and gradually beat in the remaining 3/4 cup sugar until the whites form stiff peaks.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together. Fold in 1/3 of the flour into the yolks; then fold 1/3 of the egg whites in.
- Repeat, alternating, until well combined. The dough will be firm and slightly sticky. If the dough is too soft, add more flour. With floured hands, divide the dough into two logs approximately 1 1/2 inches wide.
- Arrange the logs on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until they are lightly brown and firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and set the baking sheet on a rack for 10 minutes.
- On a cutting board, cut the logs on a diagonal into slices 1/2 inch wide.
- Return the slices to the baking sheet and bake for 5 to 7 minutes on each side or until the biscotti are very lightly browned and crisp.
- Cool on racks and store in airtight containers.
Garlic Parmesan Grilled Corn is a glorious blending of American and Italian flavors, celebrating the...
Basque Shepherd's Pie is not what you might expect. Unlike other shepherd's pies, the meat is on th...
Tomato Florentine Soup is a simple, tasty, and alluring dish that pleases the palate and brings a de...
Absolutely outstanding and unique, these charming breadsticks are wrapped with beef and fresh arugul...