Very little wheat grows in Alicante, Spain, but you can find almond trees everywhere, so the flour in Almond Cookies (Almendrados) is made of nuts, making these intensely flavorful cookies.
- 1 1/3 Cups blanched almonds; plus
- 10 blanched almonds, split lengthwise; for garnishing
- 2/3 Cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grind the 1 1/3 cups blanched almonds to a fine paste in electric blender or mortar. Mix ground almonds with sugar and salt. Fold in egg whites beaten to a stiff beak.
- For each cookie, drop equivalent of heaping 1/2 teaspoon of mixture onto buttered sheet.
- Top each cookie with half an almond.
- Bake in 400 degree oven until cookies are lightly browned on top (approximately 10 minutes). The inside of the cookie will look still moist when cookie is done. Remove to a rack and cool.
Traditional Hanukkah Brisket in Red Wine, a delicious recipe by Marcy Goldman is the focal point of ...
Tuscany is the home of many great recipes, not the least of which are many wonderful bean-based reci...
Tiramisu has become an international favorite dessert, served around the globe in great Italian rest...
Seriously delicious, this cake is unleavened, thus Kosher for Passover, but no matter what time of y...