Very little wheat grows in Alicante, Spain, but you can find almond trees everywhere, so the flour in Almond Cookies (Almendrados) is made of nuts, making these intensely flavorful cookies.
- 1 1/3 Cups blanched almonds; plus
- 10 blanched almonds, split lengthwise; for garnishing
- 2/3 Cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grind the 1 1/3 cups blanched almonds to a fine paste in electric blender or mortar. Mix ground almonds with sugar and salt. Fold in egg whites beaten to a stiff beak.
- For each cookie, drop equivalent of heaping 1/2 teaspoon of mixture onto buttered sheet.
- Top each cookie with half an almond.
- Bake in 400 degree oven until cookies are lightly browned on top (approximately 10 minutes). The inside of the cookie will look still moist when cookie is done. Remove to a rack and cool.
Chicken Consommé takes standard chicken broth to a new, rich and incredible level, enhancing the fla...
Paskha or Pascha is a festal dish made in Eastern Orthodox countries of those foods which are forbi...
To say that Shrimp Scampi and Pasta is aromatic is to say a silk gown is just a dress. This exceptio...
These glorious sandwiches are the kind of healthful, flavor rich food that is perfect for lunch or p...