Very little wheat grows in Alicante, Spain, but you can find almond trees everywhere, so the flour in Almond Cookies (Almendrados) is made of nuts, making these intensely flavorful cookies.
- 1 1/3 Cups blanched almonds; plus
- 10 blanched almonds, split lengthwise; for garnishing
- 2/3 Cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grind the 1 1/3 cups blanched almonds to a fine paste in electric blender or mortar. Mix ground almonds with sugar and salt. Fold in egg whites beaten to a stiff beak.
- For each cookie, drop equivalent of heaping 1/2 teaspoon of mixture onto buttered sheet.
- Top each cookie with half an almond.
- Bake in 400 degree oven until cookies are lightly browned on top (approximately 10 minutes). The inside of the cookie will look still moist when cookie is done. Remove to a rack and cool.
In France, Bouillabaisse from the Côte d'Azur is a classic dish of the best seafood soup. It is a tr...
Christmas Semifreddo with Raisins and Marrons Glaces is an indulgent dessert with a hint of sweet ru...
Chicken Liver Pate is a glorious appetizer not often made in the United States, though incredibly po...
Who would think that Sweet Corn Ice Cream would be utterly delicious, delectably exciting and so inf...