Very little wheat grows in Alicante, Spain, but you can find almond trees everywhere, so the flour in Almond Cookies (Almendrados) is made of nuts, making these intensely flavorful cookies.
- 1 1/3 Cups blanched almonds; plus
- 10 blanched almonds, split lengthwise; for garnishing
- 2/3 Cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grind the 1 1/3 cups blanched almonds to a fine paste in electric blender or mortar. Mix ground almonds with sugar and salt. Fold in egg whites beaten to a stiff beak.
- For each cookie, drop equivalent of heaping 1/2 teaspoon of mixture onto buttered sheet.
- Top each cookie with half an almond.
- Bake in 400 degree oven until cookies are lightly browned on top (approximately 10 minutes). The inside of the cookie will look still moist when cookie is done. Remove to a rack and cool.
Whether used for a topping for a dessert, or a side with an entree, this flavorful dish provides exc...
Apfelstrudel, an old Austrian recipe is always a crowd pleaser, and full of deep, rich and sweet fla...
The natural sweetness of beets pairs amorously with garlic. Roasting enhances the intensity of flav...
Summertime Corn Salad is a simple blend of vegetables with a light citrus dressing and piquant herba...