The Spanish Almond Cake is an outstanding cake with delightful flavor and a luscious, moist texture. Very soothing and relaxing, it’s perfect with tea or coffee.
Almond Cake (Tarta de Almendras)
Author: Barbara Norman
Recipe type: Desserts
- 1 Cup blanched almonds
- 2/3 Cup sugar
- 1/2 Cup cake flour
- 2 Tablespoons dark rum
- 1 pinch salt
- powdered sugar; for dusting cake
- 3 whole eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat eggs with sugar until creamy and thick.
- Grind almonds to fine powder in electric blender or pound in mortar.
- Mix ground almonds with flour and salt and add to eggs with rum. Stir just enough to blend. Pour into 8-by-12-inch baking pan lined with wax paper (or buttered and sprinkled with flour).
- Bake in 350 degree oven 25 to 30 minutes or until cake pulls away fron sides of pan and springs back when pressed lightly with finger.
- Turn upside down on cake rack or wax paper sprinkled with powdered sugar. Remove paper from bottom of cake when cool. (If you do not use paper for baking, leave cake inverted in pan until cool.)
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving.
- This recipe makes a one-layer cake, 8 by 12 inches.
Recipe Source: THE SPANISH COOKBOOK by Barbara Norman