Almond Butter Crunch
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Candies
Serves: 1 pound
- 1 1/2 Cups whole blanched almonds; chopped (12 ounce)
- 1 Cup butter
- 1 1/2 Cups sugar
- 3 Tablespoons light corn syrup
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate squares
- 1. Place chopped almonds on a cooky sheet; toast in moderate oven (375 deg F) 10 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Combine butter, sugar, corn syrup and water in a medium-size heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, to 300 deg F on candy thermometer. (A teaspoonful of syrup will separate into brittle threads when dropped in cold water.) Remove from heat; stir in 1 cup of the toasted almonds. Pour into a buttered 13 x 9 x 2" pan, spreading quickly and evenly; cool. Turn out onto wax paper.
- Melt chocolate squares in the top of a double boiler over hot water; remove from heat. Spread half the melted chocolate over top of candy; sprinkle with 1/4 cups nuts; let set for about 20 minutes; turn candy over and spread with remaining chocolate and sprinkle with remaining nuts. Let stand until set. Break into pieces. Makes l pound.