Almond Butter Christmas Cake
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Holiday Cuisine
Serves: 1 cake
- 3 Cups cake flour; sifted
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 Cup butter; or shortening
- 1 1/2 Cups sugar
- 3 eggs; unbeaten
- 1/2 Cup almonds; finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup raisins; finely cut
- 1 Cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Sift flour once, measure, add baking powder and salt, and sift together three times. Cream butter thoroughly. add sugar gradually, and cream together until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each. Add nuts and raisins and beat well.
- Add flour, alternately with milk, a small amount at a time, beating after each addition until smooth. Add vanilla.
- Bake in two greased 9-incb layer pans in moderate oven (375 degrees F.) 25 minutes, or until done.
- Spread Boiled Frosting (see recipe) between layers and on top and sides of cake.
- Decorate top of cake with wreath of holly, using pieces of maraschino cherries or red cinnamon candies for berries, and slices of angelica or citron for leaves and stems. Or decorate with poinsettias made of candied cherries. Slice cherries in rings, cut rings in half, and arrange to form petals of poinsettias.
- If desired, Lemon Butter Frosting (see recipe) may be used.