All-American Chocolate Cake is always a favorite and this is indeed a classic of its genre. Superb flavor and ease make it great.
All-American Chocolate Cake
Author: Marion Cunningham
Recipe type: Baked Goods
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 Cup shortening or 1/2 pound butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 Cups cake flour
- 2 Cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup milk
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small, heavy-bottomed pan, melt chocolate and shortening, stirring over low heat until smooth and melted. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add chocolate mixture, milk and eggs, beating until smooth.
- Spread mixture in two greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans. Bake for 30-to-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 5 minutes before turning out onto wire rack.
- Decorate with Satiny Chocolate Frosting.