All-American Apple Pie is the ultimate classic in American gastronomy. The quintessential comfort food good for one and all. Simply perfect in every way.
All-American Apple Pie
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1/4 Cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest; grated
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 medium apples; prepared as directed
- 1 Cup raisins
- 1 pie crust (9 inch)
- 1 large egg; beaten
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spray a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate with vegetable cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, granulated sugar, flour, lemon zest, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well.
- Peel, core, and thinly slice apples. Add apples to sugar mixture; stir until coated. Stir in raisins. Spoon into prepared plate.
- Place pie crust on top of filling. Trim edges, pressing against edge of pan. Using a sharp knife, cut steam vents in pie crust.
- To glaze, lightly brush piecrust with beaten egg. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake until pie crust is golden brown, about 35 to 40 minutes. Place on wire rack and cool for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm. Ice cream, optional, but priceless!
Serve with a wedge of Cheddar or a scoop of your favorite ice cream, if you like.