Rich and flavorful, Ale-Braised Pork Chops with Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes needs only a green vegetable or salad and dessert to make it perfect.
Ale-Braised Pork Chops with Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Main Course
Garlic Mashed Potatoes:
- 1 head garlic
- 2 1/2 pounds Yukon gold or white potatoes peeled
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Cup milk, heated
- 6 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 pork loin chops, 1 inch thick
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 Cup beef broth
- 2 Tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, halved, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 small shallot, peeled and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Cup amber ale or lager
- 8 dried figs, stems removed, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sage, finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- sprig of sage, for garnish
- To prepare the roasted garlic for the mashed potatoes: Cut about 1/2 inch from the top of the head of garlic and wrap well in foil. Place in a preheated 300-degree oven for about 1 hour, or until the garlic is very soft. Cool the garlic before pressing the pulp out of the skins into a small bowl. Set aside.
- To prepare the pork: Dredge the pork chops in flour and shake off the excess. There should be about 2 teaspoons left. Mix with a tablespoon of the broth and set aside.
- In a large skillet, preferably nonstick, heat the oil over medium heat. When hot, put the pork into the pan and brown lightly for a few minutes on each side. Remove from the pan.
- Put the onion, shallot and garlic into the pan and saute about 5 minutes. Add another tablespoon broth if the pan becomes too dry.
- Pour the remaining broth into the pan with the ale; bring to a boil. Stir in the dissolved flour mixture, the figs, sage, brown sugar, tomato paste, salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 1 minute. Put the chops into the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and cook about 45 minutes, turning the chops occasionally, until the pork is tender.
- To prepare the mashed potatoes: Quarter the potatoes and place in a pot. cover with water and bring to a boil. Cover the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Cook the potatoes until soft, about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain well.
- Mash the potatoes with the roasted garlic, salt, warm milk and melted butter. Cover loosely and hold in a warm over (about 200 degrees) while finishing the chops.
- When the pork is tender, transfer to a plate, cover loosely with aluminum foil and place in the warm oven.
- Bring the sauce in the pan to a boil and cook on medium-high heat until reduced and thickened. Ladle the sauce over the chops and mashed potatoes. Garnish with a sprig of sage.