“Albondigas” (Al-bon’-dee-gahz) is a Spanish for “meatball.” This unusual soup has spicy little meatballs floating in it—and it tastes wonderful! Serve with cheese burritos, as a refreshingly different starter.
- 3 Tablespoons corn oil, divided
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 1 pound very lean ground beef (90%)
- 3 Tablespoons yellow corn meal
- 1/4 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh mint leaves, chopped or
- 1/4 teaspoon dried mint
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 teaspoons pure ground New Mexico red chile
- 3 Cups tomatoes, chopped (fresh* or canned)
- 1 can (4 ounces) green chiles, chopped
- 4 Cups chicken broth (canned or homemade)
- In a small saucepan or skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil, and add 1/2 of the garlic and 1/4 of the cup of the onion. Stir and cook until softened.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, place the meat, corn meal, cilantro, mint, cumin, egg, salt, pepper, and 1 teaspoon of the red chile. Add the cooked onions and garlic, combine well and form into small meatballs (about the size of walnuts).
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil, add the remaining garlic and onion, and cook until softened. Add the tomatoes, 1 tablespoon red chile, the green chiles and stir. Add chicken broth, bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet, and brown the meatballs on all sides.
- Using a slotted spoon, drain off any grease, add the meatballs to the soup and simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes.
- Serve in heated bowls with cheese burritos.
Chestnut Purée is an incredible rich spread that is best used on cookies or when making other desser...
Simply delicious. We truly love Fresh Peach Pie, a classic American dish made with good Southern pea...
Absolutely delicious, Alphabet Vegetable Soup is a fun and nutritious soup for young and old alike. ...
Braised Leeks are an awesome and flavorful British side dish, with a direct Welsh connection. Simply...