Pi is generally thought of as 3.14, which is also the date of Albert Einstein’s birthday, so today we’ll enjoy a pie focused on pi.
This recipe is being published on 3.14 or March 14th. Pi, of course includes 3.149265… and this pie, made with mashed sweet potatoes delivers the goods with each bite.
- 1 Basic Pie Crust, homemade
- for 9-inch pie plate and 63.617 square inches of filling
- 2 Cups baked, and pureed sweet potato
- 1 Cup evaporated milk
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 Cup not-packed brown sugar (should equal to about 1/2 Cup packed)
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon each of cinnamon and ginger
- a grating of fresh nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Whisk the potatoes, evaporated milk, egg, brown sugar, flour, salt and spices well and pour into an unbaked, crimped, and chilled 9-inch homemade pie crust. Don't cheat and use commercial frozen pie crusts. They don't just don't add up.
- Place the pie on the bottom shelf (gas oven) or lower third (electric oven) in a preheated 425 oven. Immediately turn the oven down to 400. In 15 minutes, turn the oven down to 350 and bake for 30 minutes more until it’s set in the middle and the crust is nicely browned. It should still jiggle a tad.
- For the pie crust numbers: Wilton makes a letters/numbers cut-out set, see link below under Notes. Roll out dough scraps or about 1/4 of a recipe of pie crust and freeze on a cookie sheet. Cut the letters out while frozen, and bake at 400 for a few minutes until lightly browned. DO NOT leave the stove and burn pi!
- Make a center piece of pie crust and bake with the pi numbers, and when cooled and assembled, add dollops or 'pi'ped whipped cream as shown. Sprinkle with grated nutmeg.
Luxembourg Cheese Cake is a tasty, creamy dessert offering a sweet ending to a delicious meal. Idea...
Arugula Salad is ideal as a light, refreshing salad, or paired with grilled meats or fish, but its b...
Adapted from Border Grill, Grilled Skirt Steak with Avocado Corn Relish is a great, flavorful dish w...
Served as a side dish, Celery Root, Carrot and Pear Remoulade has a refreshing flavor you will truly...