This simply wonderful pesto variation makes an alluring, exciting and flavorful sauce for pasta, or a great spread for crostini appetizers. A must try.
Agliata per Pasta (Garlic and Walnut Sauce for Pasta)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Pasta, Main Dish, Sauces, Walnuts, Cheese
- 2 slices stale bread, crusts removed
- 2 Tablespoons stock, warmed
- 1 Cup walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 Cup basil, stems trimmed
- 3 medium garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 Cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- extra walnuts
- shaved Parmesan cheese
- Soak the bread in the stock and then squeeze out any excess moisture.
- Combine the bread with the walnuts, basil, garlic, cheese, salt and pepper in a food processor. Process, adding the olive oil in a very slow stream until you have a thick paste.
- Toss with your favorite pasta.
- Add walnuts, toss and serve hot. Shave some Parmesan cheese over each portion.
Adapted from Carol Field's, "Italy in Small Bites"