In a rich, luscious sauce, these wings are a true treasure. Extraordinary eating and great for entertaining.
- For the Sauce:
- 1/3 Cup natural style peanut butter
- 1/4 Cup canned cream of coconut - well stirred
- 2 cloves garlic - chopped
- 1/4 Cup water
- 1/4 Cup red bell pepper - chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- coriander sprigs - for; garnish if desired
- For the Wings:
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 shallots
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 Tablespoon Chinese 5 spice powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary - crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne, or to taste
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 pounds chicken wings, tips removed; about 20 to 24 pieces
- THE WINGS: Prepare the chicken wings: Mince and mash the garlic and shallots to a paste with the salt. In a large bowl stir the paste together with the 5 spice powder, paprika, rosemary, cayenne, and the oil. Mix well. Add the chicken wings. Toss and stir them until they are completely covered with the marinade. Let them marinate, covered and chilled for 4 hours or over night. Arrange the wings, skin side up, on the rack of a foil lined large broiler pan and bake them in the upper third of a preheated 425F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until they are golden. The wings may be prepared one day in advance, kept covered and chilled and then reheated before serving.
- THE SAUCE: In a blender, blend together the peanut butter, cream of coconut, garlic, water, bell pepper, red pepper flakes and the soy sauce until the mixture is smooth, season the sauce with salt, to taste.
THE PRESENTATION: Transfer the sauce to a serving bowl set on a platter. Arrange the wings around the bowl and garnish the platter with the coriander.
Most traditional BBQ sauces and marinades leave seafood too sweet, or tasting of burnt sugar. This l...
Spinach Soup with Chili Gnocchi is an a spicy, pleasurable potage that tantalizes the palate and tea...
Fresh herbs and garlic in a tangy vinaigrette are an exquisite compliment to Grilled Skirt Steak wit...
Served as an appetizer, side dish or breakfast, Latkes are delightful potato pancakes, rooted in his...