The quintessential recipe for seafood chile, this delicious preparation will please even the most finicky palate at your table.
Adwoa's Fish Chili
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Seafood
- 1 pound dried black beans
- seasoned salt
- 3 cloves garlic; minced
- 1 potato
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 1 1/2 pounds fish such as red snapper or cod
- salt, to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 green onions; sliced
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 can stewed tomatoes (15 1/2 ounces)
- 1 can tomato sauce (16 ounce)
- Soak beans 8 hours or overnight in water to cover by 2 inches. Drain beans and place in saucepan with water to cover by 2 inches, or about 10 cups. Add seasoned salt to taste and minced garlic. Chop potato, carrots and onion into small pieces. Add to beans and cook until almost tender, about 1 hour.
- Season fish with salt and pepper to taste. Saute green onions in oil until tender, 2 minutes. Add fish and cook 10 minutes, flaking with spatula as it cooks. Add chili powder, tomatoes and tomato sauce to fish.
- Mix well and simmer over medium heat until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Add fish to beans, mix well and cook on low heat, 20 to 30 minutes.
- This recipe yields 12 servings.