Acorn Squash with Cranberries and Apple
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Side Dish
Serves: 4 to 6
- 2 medium or 3 small acorn or sweet dumpling squash
- 1/2 Cup (one stick) butter -- divided in half and melted in 2 separate bowls
- 1/4 Cup light or dark brown sugar
- 2 tart apples -- peeled, cored, and chopped (we use Granny Smith)
- 1/4 Cup plus 1Tablespoon dried cranberries
- 2 teaspoons minced orange peel or 2 Tablespoons of fresh orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and cover a large cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Cut your squash in half, remove the seeds, and place them face down on your pan. Bake them for 40 minutes.
- Combine 1/4 Cup of melted butter with the brown sugar, stirring well. In a separate bowl, combine the other 1/4 Cup of melted butter with the apples, cranberries, orange peel, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- When your squash are finished baking, turn them over, prick the flesh all over with a fork, then brush on the butter/brown sugar mixture, pouring any extra into the squash halves. Fill each squash with the apple mixture before baking for an additional 30 minutes.