Making a Gingerbread House is always a great family event that brings everyone together to create a beautiful expression of love. Whether decorated extensively or simply, these houses are always fun.
- 1 Cup melted solid Crisco
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 Cup light or dark Karo corn syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 5 3/4 Cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 Cups warm water
- 12 Tablespoons Meringue powder
- 4 pounds powdered sugar
- Makes 2 to 3 medium-sized house panels.
- Pour melted Crisco into mixing bowl. Cool slightly; add sugar and Karo, blending well. Add eggs, mixing all until smooth and creamy.
- Put salt, baking soda and spices into mixture and begin to add flour, just a little at a time. DON'T HURRY THIS STEP! Continue adding as much flour as the dough will absorb.
- Bake house pieces at 375 degrees for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Hints: Make permanent pattern pieces of mylar or other plastic sheet.
- To roll out: Use heavy duty foil (splash a few drops of water under it so it will stay stationary), roll the dough out, cut into desired shapes that are 1-inch apart.
- Remove the excess dough. Place the foil holding the pieces to bake on a cardboard, place in oven and REMOVE THE CARDBOARD BEFORE SHUTTING OVEN DOOR.
- If pieces bake together, cut apart immediately after removing from oven.
- Windows: Must be cut before baking. Can add crushed hard candy for "glass"
- To Assemble: use Royal Icing. Beat the water and Meringue powder until frothy. Add as much powdered sugar as necessary. Do not make icing stiff or house will not hold together as long.
- Using No. 5 tip, squeeze out icing on both sides of back of house. Stand it up and add sides. Prop with cans of soup, etc., if it doesn't stay firmly together. Place icing on ends of standing sides and add house front. Let dry for 10-15 minutes, then add roof and chimney.
- Decorate with desired candies using royal icing to place decorations on.
- Let dry and store covered away from dust.
The Roast Turkey Reuben is a modified classic using hand-carved turkey as a foundation for a superio...
This refreshing salad is ideal for Summer, pairing the glorious flavor of grilled meat with the lusc...
The pairing of apricots with ostrich creates an exceptional result that's simply delicious in our As...
For an amazing meatless meal worthy of a wonderful weekend treat, try Artichokes Braised with Fennel...