A Basic Chicken Stock
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Poultry
Serves: 1 batch
- 1 pounds chicken parts (back, neck, wings, and bones)
- 4 Cups water
- 1 carrot; chopped
- 1 onion; sliced
- 1 celery stalk
- 10 black peppercorns
- 5 whole cloves
- 5 parsley sprigs
- 1 large bay leaf
- To prepare stock, put all ingredients in a heavy saucepan and bring to a rapid boil.
- With a spoon, remove any foamy scum that collects on the top of the water; reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Strain and store in a glass jar in the refrigerator, or freeze in a plastic container.
- For small amounts, freeze stock in ice cube trays and then put the stock cubes in plastic freezer bags.
- Frozen, stock will last for up to 3 months; refrigerated, for 3 days.