For a warming treat, try a bowl of our delicious and wholesome Vegetable and Pasta Soup (Minestrone). It is full of delicate and nutritious flavors.
Vegetable and Pasta Soup (Minestrone)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
Serves: 8 servings
- 3 3/4 Cups water, 900 ml (1 3/4 pints)
- 4 ounces (125 g) 2/3 Cup dried kidney beans
- 2 ounces (50 g) 1/3 Cup dried chick-peas
- 6 ounces (6 oz) salt pork, cubed
- 2 fluid ounces (50 ml) 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 4 celery stalks, sliced
- 1/2 small cabbage, finely shredded
- 6 medium tomatoes, blanched, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 4 pints (2 1/2 litres) 10 Cups chicken stock
- 1 bouquet garni
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces (225 g) 1 1/3 Cups fresh peas, weighed after shelling
- 4 ounces (125 g) macaroni
- 2 ounces (50 g) 1/2 Cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Bring the water to the boil over high heat. Add the beans and chick-peas and boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to soak for 1 1/2 hours.
- Return the pan to high heat and bring to the boil again. Reduce the heat to low and simmer the beans for 1 1/2 hours, or until they are almost tender.
- Drain the beans and peas in a colander and set aside.
- Fry the salt pork cubes in a saucepan until they resemble small croutons and have rendered most of their fat.
- Transfer the salt pork to a plate. Add the oil to the saucepan and stir in the onions and garlic.
- Fry until the onions are soft. Stir in the potatoes, carrots and celery and fry for 5 minutes, then add the cabbage and tomatoes. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Pour over the stock, then add the bouquet garni, reserved beans and chick-peas, salt pork and salt and pepper. Bring" to the boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer the soup for 35 minutes. Uncover and remove and discard the bouquet garni. Add the fresh peas and macaroni and cook for a further 10 to 15 minutes, or until the macaroni is 'al dente', or just tender.
- Pour the soup into serving bowls and sprinkle over the grated Parmesan before serving.