90-Minute Soft Pretzels are indeed a treat, and are eaten in Germany with mustard along side a stein of good beer. Not merely for the kiddies. We particularly enjoy these as dinner rolls, skipping the traditional pretzel shape for small spherical shaped rolls.
- 3 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour; unsifted
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 Cup water
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 egg yolk; beaten
- coarse salt
- Mix 1 Cup flour, sugar, salt and undissolved yeast. Heat 1 Cup water and butter to 120 to 130 degrees. Gradually add to dry ingredients; beat 2 minutes at medium speed of mixer. Add 1/2 Cup flour.
- Beat at high speed 2 minutes. Stir in enough additional flour to make a soft dough. On floured board, knead 5 minutes. Set in greased bowl; turn to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place 40 minutes.
- Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll each into a 20-inch rope. Shape into pretzels or other shapes. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover; let rest 5 minutes. Mix egg yolk and 1 tablespoon water; brush on pretzels. Sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake at 375 degrees 15 minutes or until done. Cool on racks.
Warm Pear Charlotte is a simply stunning dessert suitable for any occasion and perfect for entertain...
Marinierte Tomaten (Marinated Tomatoes) is a great tasting tomato dish that may be served for breakf...
Corn Wheels with Lime Butter make a fun way of serving fresh vegetables. The lime sauce adds a disti...
Cool, soothing, flavorful and relaxing, like a picnic on Nantucket or Cape Cod, Chilled Corn and Pot...