90-Minute Soft Pretzels are indeed a treat, and are eaten in Germany with mustard along side a stein of good beer. Not merely for the kiddies. We particularly enjoy these as dinner rolls, skipping the traditional pretzel shape for small spherical shaped rolls.
- 3 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour; unsifted
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 Cup water
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 egg yolk; beaten
- coarse salt
- Mix 1 Cup flour, sugar, salt and undissolved yeast. Heat 1 Cup water and butter to 120 to 130 degrees. Gradually add to dry ingredients; beat 2 minutes at medium speed of mixer. Add 1/2 Cup flour.
- Beat at high speed 2 minutes. Stir in enough additional flour to make a soft dough. On floured board, knead 5 minutes. Set in greased bowl; turn to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place 40 minutes.
- Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll each into a 20-inch rope. Shape into pretzels or other shapes. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover; let rest 5 minutes. Mix egg yolk and 1 tablespoon water; brush on pretzels. Sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake at 375 degrees 15 minutes or until done. Cool on racks.
An amazing Mexican or Cuban cake made with three milks or Tres Leches. A bit tough at first to maste...
Simply extraordinary! Easy Chocolate Terrine can be made any time of year for a perfect dessert. Ser...
The creamy mushroom sauce makes Beef Stroganoff one of Europe's favorites. Perfect on cool evenings ...
Bistecca alla Fiorentina (Grilled Rib-Eye Steak) is an outstanding way of preparing a hearty Tuscan ...