It is the noble ideal of home cooks and great pastry chefs alike to Bake a Perfect Cheesecake. Its rich flavor and creamy texture make the experience priceless. Cheesecake is one of those little pleasures in life that add to the quality of life. Delicious, filling, smooth and relaxing, a good cheesecake is perfect with a cup of coffee, or tea, in the afternoon, or evening.
Perfect Cheesecake Tips
1. Wrapping the pan with foil keeps it watertight.
2. If you grease the sides of the pan first, the surface will not crack when the cake starts to shrink on cooling. (It always shrinks a little).
3. Chill thoroughly before unmolding. In fact, we make cheesecakes one day ahead of serving and leave it in the springform till ready to use.
4. The water bath pan must NOT be higher than the springform pan or it will slow down baking. Also, put no more than 1 inch of water in the pan.
5. Check oven temperature for accuracy.
6. When cheesecake is done, turn oven off, DO NOT OPEN DOOR, let sit for 1 hour. Then remove, place on a rack, and let cool to room temperature (about 1 hour). Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
7. Use 1 Tablespoon cornstarch per 2 (8 oz) packages of cream cheese. Use Philadelphia brand cream cheese. It is the best and works EVERY time.
8. IMPORTANT: Use the egg size specified. If none is specified, use large (not jumbo or extra-large) size.
If all of these tips are followed, you should have a fabulous, non-falling cheesecake.