The Zombie is a cocktail made of fruit juices, liqueurs, and various rums, so named for its perceived effects upon the drinker. It first appeared in the late 1930s, invented by Donn Beach (formerly Ernest Raymond Beaumont-Gannt) of Hollywood’s Don the Beachcomber restaurant. It was popularized soon afterwards at the 1939 New York World’s Fair.
The Zombie has become one of the traditional Halloween cocktails, though it is enjoyed throughout the year.
- 1 ounce light Rum
- 1/2 ounce creme de almond
- 1 1/2 ounces sweet and sour mix
- 1/2 ounce Triple Sec
- 1 1/2 ounces orange juice
- 1/2 ounce 151-proof Rum
- 1 cherry; (optional)
- Shake all ingredients (except 151-proof rum) with ice and strain into a Collins glass over ice cubes.
- Float the 151-proof rum on top, add a cherry (if desired), and serve.