Watermelon-Basil Agua Fresca
Author: Chief Mixologist
Recipe type: Non-Alcoholic Beverage
- 2 Cups basil leaves, plus extra to garnish
- 1 Cup simple syrup
- 5 pounds watermelon, seeded and diced
- 1 Cup agave nectar
- 1 Gallon filtered water
- To make basil syrup, blanch basil in boiling water for 1 minute; shock in ice water. When basil is cool, dry on paper towels to remove as much water as possible, then purée in blender with simple syrup. Set aside.
- In batches, purée watermelon in blender; strain through fine chinois.
- Warm agave syrup in microwave for just a couple of minutes to make it easier to work with. Mix watermelon, agave nectar and water, adjusting sweetness as needed depending on ripeness of watermelon.
- Serve over ice, garnished with basil syrup and fresh basil leaf.