Wassail No. 1
Author: Chief Mixologist
Recipe type: Punches
- 1 gallons apple juice or apple cider
- 2 oranges
- 2 lemons
- 1 lime; (optional)
- 1 Tablespoons cloves
- 1 Tablespoons allspice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 Quarts water
- 1 Cup sugar
- Heat the water to boiling.
- Cut the lemons and oranges (and lime if using) in half and squeeze the juice into a separate bowl to save, throw the skins and pulp into the boiling water.
- Add spices and simmer for one hour.
- Remove the cinnamon sticks and a few cloves and allspice and save to one side.
- Using a slotted spoon or strainer remove the citrus peels and pulp and the remaining spices.
- Return the cinnamon sticks and saved spices to the water.
- Add the apple juice or cider and return to heat.
- When boiling remove from heat and add the citrus juice and sugar.
- Simmer very lightly for another 10 minutes and serve.