An incredible flavor and color comes from this tasty syrup. Perfect for cocktails or Italian sodas, it is particularly delicious in summertime.
Author: Chief Mixologist
Recipe type: Syrups
Serves: 2 Quarts
- 4 Cups violets; freshly picked, unsprayed and suitable for human consumption
- 6 Cups sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
- Select only the freshest and most unblemished violets. Place violet petals in a deep bowl and pour the boiling water over them. Weigh down with a heavy dish to keep them submerged. Place the bowl in a draft-free place at room temperature for 24 hours.
- Line a colander with layers of rinsed cheesecloth (or use a clean terrycloth towel) and place over a bowl. Pour violets and liquid into colander, squeezing out juice from the violets; discard the violets.
- Place sugar, lemon juice and water in a saucepan and boil into a very thick syrup, near the candy stage.
- Add violet water and bring to a rolling boil. Boil 10 minutes or until thickened. Pour into sterile bottles. Allow to cool, then seal and refrigerate. Serve with ice water or club soda or use in cocktails.
VARIATION: Substitute 4 cups fragrant rose petals and add 1 cinnamon stick per bottle of syrup.