While one may cheat and use imitation or diluted vanilla extracts this recipe provides the most authentic, delicious results and does so incredibly well. So good in fact that we’ve made this and given it as gifts.
Though our main purpose in publishing this recipe is to provide you with help in making liqueurs, we ourselves have cheated all too often, using this to make Vanilla Egg Creams, as well as dessert sauces and even flavoring our coffee. It makes an incredible cup of hot cocoa in wintery months.
- 3 Cups water, distilled
- 1 1/2 Cups brown sugar (packed)
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean (8 inches, split lengthwise)
- 1 Tablespoon light rum (or Bourbon)
- In a medium saucepan, combine water, brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla bean. Bring to a boil; boil for 5 minutes, stirring until sugars dissolve. Let cool.
- Pour into 2-quart jar with a tight-fitting lid. Stir in rum; cover. Let stand at least 2 weeks at room temperature before serving.