The exceptional pairing of vanilla and coffee perfect this glorious liqueur making ideal for after-dinner drinks or coffee-based cocktails.
Author: Chief Mixologist
Recipe type: Liqueurs
Serves: 1 bottle
- 1 1/2 Cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 2 Cups water, distilled
- 1/2 Cup instant coffee powder (not freeze dried)
- 3 Cups vodka 80 proof
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 inches vanilla bean, split
- Combine sugars and water. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Gradually stir in coffee. Cool.
- Add vodka and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
- Cover and let ripen for 1 month.
- Remove vanilla bean. Strain through a coffee filter.
- Bottle in a decorative glass vessel and use for gifts. Store in a cool, dark place.
Tap water and spring waters contain minerals that can adversely affect the taste of liqueurs. When making syrups or using water in any drinks or liqueurs, it is best to use distilled water, which is free of chemicals, minerals and any additives, such as fluorides that can change the flavor you wish to achieve.