The Pastor's Wassail
Author: Chief Mixologist
Recipe type: Punches
- 1 Cup sugar
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 3 lemon slices
- 2 Cups pineapple juice
- 2 Cups orange juice
- 6 Cups claret wine
- 1/2 Cup lemon juice
- 1 Cup dry sherry
- Boil first three ingredients with 1/2 cup of water for 5 minutes.
- Remove lemon slices, any seeds, and cinnamon sticks.
- Heat the remaining ingredients until very warm.
- Do not boil Combine with the syrup and serve very warm.
- Note: When serving, one should say - "Wass hael", an old Saxon phrase, meaning "to be whole" or "be well".
- From: Civil War in the Kitchen Cookbook by Hugh and Judy Gowan