The Best Eggnog truly lives up to its name and reputation as a superb treat for the holiday season. A wonderful, creamy and intoxicating nog.
The Best Eggnog
Creamy, sweet and intoxicating. A delightful punch to celebrate the season.
Author: Dominick LaRuffa Jr.
Recipe type: Holiday Drinks
- 3/4 Cup sugar
- 12 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Quart milk
- 1 Cup heavy cream
- 1/2 Cup Brandy
- 1/2 Cup light Rum
- In top of double boiler over simmering water, blend 1/2 cup sugar, egg yolks and salt.
- Gradually stir in milk and cook, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat back of spoon.
- Remove from heat, cool, cover, and chill. (May be prepared in advance up to this point)
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Beat in remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
- In separate chilled bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks form.
- Pour chilled egg mixture into large punch bowl, then stir in brandy and rum.
- Fold in egg whites and then the whipped cream.
- Ladle into punch glasses and dust each serving with grated nutmeg.