A great recipe with strong aromatic flavors, The Actor truly performs brilliantly, garnering applause from all who try it. Give it a standing ovation!
Author: Dominick LaRuffa Jr.
Recipe type: Alcoholic Cocktails
- 3 ounces ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1 1/2 Cups water
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 liter golden rum
- 2 ounces Pepper Rum
- 1/2 ounce Ginger Syrup
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- ginger ale, chilled
- Cabernet Sauvignon, other full-bodied red wine
- mint sprig
- Peel ginger using a spoon, then slice into thin coins.
- Add peppercorns to a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Toast peppercorns, shaking the pan occasionally, until aromatic (about 2 to 3 minutes). Add sugar, water, sliced ginger, stirring to combine.
- Bring mixture to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Once the mixture is boiling, drop heat to medium-low and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes. You want the mixture to smell very strongly of ginger.
- Take the mixture off of the heat. Let cool completely then strain into a clean jar or other container. Discard solids. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
- Remove the stem, seeds and ribs from red bell peppers and discard. Slice bell peppers into long, thin strips. Place sliced peppers in a large, airtight container then pour in the rum. Seal the lid and store in a cool, dark spot for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, strain infused rum through a medium mesh basket strainer into a clean bottle or container. Discard solids. Store the rum in the refrigerator.
- Combine rum, ginger syrup and lime juice in a short glass with ice. Stir until well combined and chilled.
- Add ginger ale until almost topped off. Carefully pour red wine on top over the back of a bar spoon. Don’t add too much. Just enough to have a layer floating on top.
- Finish with a sprig of mint.