Thai Iced Tea Cha Thai
Author: Chief Mixologist
Recipe type: Non-Alcoholic Drinks
- 3 Tablespoons thai tea (cha thai)
- 6 ounces boiling water
- sugar or:
- sweetened condensed milk to taste
- milk or:
- Place tea in a coffee filter in a drip cone.
- Preheat carafe with boiling water; discard water.
- Pour 6 ounces boiling water per serving into cone and let it drip through.
- Transfer brew to another container, then pour back through filter.
- Repeat until tea is deep red in color, a total of 4 to 6 times.
- Sweeten tea to taste with sugar or condensed milk.
- Fill tall glasses with ice cubes and add tea to fill glasses halfway.
- Add milk or half-and-half and stir.
- Variation: The tea may be brewed in a teapot, but it will still need to be filtered through a paper filter or a very fine nylon strainer.
- Preheat pot with boiling water and allow to steep 6 to 8 minutes before straining.
- From the California Culinary Academy''s "Southeast Asian Cooking", Jay Harlow, published by the Chevron Chemical Company, 1987.
- ISBN 0-89721-098-0.