There’s something alluring, feminine and luxurious about homemade Strawberry Liqueur. It makes a perfect accompaniment to desserts. This is not a commonly made liqueur, nor one made popular by commercial manufacture, but it is quite delicious and blends well in a number of mixed cocktails. Use the freshest berries or wild strawberries, if available.
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 2 1/2 Cups vodka
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/2 Cups sugar syrup
- Select full colored and plumb berries, avoiding stained baskets (sign of overripe or softened and decayed berries). DO NOT wash until ready to use as water causes mold to form.
- Rinse berries and place in a mixing bowl, lightly crushing to release flavor. Add vodka and vanilla bean.
- Stir and store in bottle in cool dark place for 3 weeks.
- Strain mixture through dampened cheesecloth squeezing as much juice as possible. Pour back into bottle adding sugar syrup to taste (1/3 to 1/2 Cup per pint) and age another 3 to 5 weeks.