The name reflects the weights used to measure products, including sugar, in markets of Mexico and throughout Latin America in the 16th through 19th centuries.
Piloncillo is available at Hispanic supermarkets.
- 1 Cup sugar granulated
- 8 ounces cone piloncillo crushed with a heavy mallet
- 1 Cup water
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 stick cinnamon
- Place water, sugar and spices in heavy one-quart nonreactive saucepan and let sit for 1 hour or longer, until sugar is fully dissolved.
- Slowly bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 4 to 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then discard spices and pour remaining mixture into a glass bottle.
- Keeps indefinitely in the refrigerator.
- This dark syrup dissolves easily in hot coffee drinks.