Pour a little on a piece of chocolate cake or in your coffee.
Sour Cherry Syrup
Author: Chief Mixologist
Recipe type: Syrups
Serves: 1 bottle
- 2 pounds sugar water; up to 3 Cups sugar
- 1 lb sour cherries
- 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
- Use only a porcelain or enamel pan.
- Boil the sugar and water together for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the sour cherries and boil again gently another 20 to 30 minutes or until the syrup thickens.
- Strain the liquid into a bowl through a cheesecloth, squeezing the cherries to extract all of the liquid.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- To serve syrups, add a Tablespoon or two to a glass, fill with cold or sparkling water and ice.
- Dried sour cherries may be used instead of fresh ones.
- They should be soaked in cold water 6 hours or longer.
- Will kept at room temperature as long as the bottle is sealed.
- Refrigerate after opening.
Can be used as a topping for ice cream, mousses, bavarians or frozen desserts. MAKES: 1 bottle SOURCE: Persian Cooking by Nesta Ramazani