Doctors are divided about whether a cup of warm milk before bed induces a good night’s sleep. While there may not be scientific evidence, these ancient cures often have a scintilla of truth to them and this one does.
Timothy Morgenthaler, M.D. said in an article for the Mayo Clinic “Don’t go to bed hungry. A light snack before bedtime can keep hunger pangs from waking you up.” In that regard, he’s absolutely correct, but many doctors and dieticians disagree about the nature of the light snack. In truth, because milk has protein, it makes a great snack before bed.
While one should not consume too much liquid before bed, a 6 to 8 ounce portion of milk may be just the right trick. We recommend skim milk, to reduce the fat content. Fatty foods before sleep can cause heartburn.
When sleep patterns become irregular, people resort to all sorts of things from meditation to music, aromatherapy to prayer and even to listening to soothing sound effects. Many resort to drugs, which should only be a temporary solution in extreme cases. A small period of irregular sleep may best be resolved with a cup of this recipe every evening, about an hour or two before bedtime.
- 1 Cup milk (skim or whole), organic
- 1 teaspoon sugar, granulated
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Warm the milk in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Add sugar.
- Bring to a simmer, but do not boil. As soon as you see small bubbles forming around the edge of the pan, it's done. Remove from heat.
- Pour vanilla into a mug, followed by the warmed milk. Stir and serve.