When preparing your pineapple, be sure to use ones that are fresh, fully ripened and still have green leaves on top, not dried or browned. The pineapple should be skinned completely as shown right. Cut up into smaller pieces, it is added to the recipe in thin chunks which may later be used to make pineapple jam or preserves with a kick. The pineapple core may also be added to this recipe, whole, as it contains much sugar and flavor.
After pressing all the liquid from the pineapple chunks, consider using them in a pineapple cake.
The liqueur makes a glorious pina colada.
- 1 pound sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon whole coriander seed
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 ripe pineapple
- 3 Cups 80 proof vodka
- 1 Cup water
- Skin the pineapple and cut into very small pieces.
- Combine with coriander, cinnamon, vodka and water in mixing jar.
- Cover. Let infuse for two weeks.
- Strain liqueur through fine sieve.
- Save pineapple chunks for future use.
- Add sugar and shake vigorously until dissolved.
- Let clear, filter, decant, and bottle.