Papa LaRuffa's Italian Sangria
An old Calabrian, chef, and bartender, Papa LaRuffa adapted an old Calabrian recipe for fruited red wine to the American table, adding soda and cherries for an outstanding drink.
Author: Dominick LaRuffa Jr.
Recipe type: Alcoholic Cocktails
Serves: 6 to 8
- 1 navel orange, sliced thin
- 1 lime, sliced thin
- 1 lemon sliced thin
- 1 pint Queen Anne cherries, pitted and smashed coarsely in a bowl with
- 1 Tablespoon sugar (granulated)
- 1/2 Gallon good Chianti, divided)
- 2 cans (24 ounces) 7-Up or Sprite (or other lemon-lime soda)
- Prepare the citrus and add to a large pitcher (1 gallon size). Smash the pitted cherries with the sugar. Scoop the fruit out and add to the pitcher.
- Pour 1 Cup of wine into the bowl, stir well and pour the liquid (with remaining sugar and cherry juice) into the pitcher.
- Add the remaining wine to the pitcher and stir. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Just before serving stir well, add soda and ice cubes.
- Garnish each glass with some of the fruit.