Making your own high quality orange liqueur at a fraction of the price of the commercial brands is far easier than one might think, with amazing results.
You’ll see in the image right that there are various stages of progress in making this liqueur. The ultimate goal being the darkest of those shown, with the greatest flavor and perfect maturity.
- 3 whole sweet oranges, cut into wedges
- 2 whole cloves
- 3 Cups vodka, 80 to 100 proof
- 1 cup sugar syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water, distilled
- Place the oranges, lemon, cloves and vodka in a jar (vodka should cover the fruit) and steep 10 days.
- Strain and filter. Add sugar syrup.
- Mature 3-4 weeks though additional aging only enhances the liqueur's qualities.
- Sugar Syrup: To make one cup of sugar syrup: Bring to boil together, let stand a minute or two before adding to anything else. It will yield a little more than one cup, but most recipes rely on that inconsistency.