Mulled Wine No. 1
Author: Chief Mixologist
Recipe type: Punches
- 2 bottles fruity red wine (750 ml ea) see * Note
- 1 Cup honey
- 2/3 Cup orange-flavored liqueur
- Zest of 1 orange
- Juice from 1 orange
- Orange slices for garnish; (optional)
- 12 whole cloves
- 12 whole allspice
- 2 cinnamon sticks; 3-4 inches
- cinnamon sticks for garnish; (optional)
- 4 slices fresh ginger root, quarter-size; crushed
- 3 crushed cardamom pods; (optional)
- * Note: Use a fruity but full-bodied red wine such as Merlot or Zinfandel; don't go too cheap because this punch is only as good as the wine that you use.
- In large nonreactive pot over low heat, stir together wine, honey, liqueur, orange zest and juice, cloves, allspice, cinnamon, ginger and cardamom, if using.
- Heat, stirring occasionally, until mulled wine is hot but not boiling, about 30 minutes.
- Strain and discard solids.
- Pour into mugs and garnish with orange slices or cinnamon sticks, if desired.
- Serve warm.
- This recipe yields 16 (1/2-cup) servings.
- Each serving: 172 calories, 10 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, trace fat, 23 gm carbohydrates, trace protein, trace fiber.
Recipe adapted from "Christmas 101" by Rick Rodgers (Broadway, $15)