Mrs. Swindell's Famous Fruited Iced Tea
Author: Chief Mixologist
Recipe type: Non-Alcoholic Drinks
- 1/2 Cup sugar, granulated
- 1/2 Cup bottle spring water
- 6 English Breakfast tea bags boiling; water
- 1 1/2 Cup orange juice; fresh squeezed from Valencia oranges
- 3/4 Cup pineapple juice
- At one time, I intended to teach law, so I went to Boston to get a Master's of Law degree; while there I lived with the Swindells family.
- Swindells made a superb iced tea with a pronounced citrusy flavor.
- She insisted on using bottle spring water for a clear tasting iced tea, the sweetest and most flavored oranges and English Breakfast Tea.
- In saucepan, combine sugar and spring water and bring to a boil; continue to boil until liquid is clear, about 5 minutes.
- Chill thoroughly.
- Place tea bags in heat-resistant pitcher, add boiling water and let steep for about 5 minutes.
- Remove and discard tea bags.
- Let cool and refrigerate until chilled.
- Add orange juice, lemon juice and pineapple juice and chilled sugar syrup.
- Refrigerate for a few hours, preferably overnight.
- Serve over ice in tall glasses.
- MAKES: 6-8 SERVINGS SOURCE: The Dave Nichol Cookbook