Mexican Chocolate Granita
Author: Chief Mixologist
Recipe type: Garnishes
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1/2 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Cups water
- 2 Tablespoons white or brown creme de cacao
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING
- Granita: Smooth sugar and cocoa in a saucepan; slowly pour in water, beating until smooth.
- Bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Pour into an 8 or 9" baking pan.
- Place in freezer; freeze until mixture is firm but not solidly frozen.
- Break up icy chunks with a fork.
- Return to the freezer.
- Freeze at least three hours, until frozen.
- Whipped Cream Topping: At serving time, in a cold bowl, with cold beaters, combine the cream, creme de cacao, and sugar.
- Beat on high until the cream forms soft peaks.
- Let the granita stand at room temperature 5 minutes, then break up with a fork.
- Spoon chunks into stemmed glasses.
- Top with whipped cream and garnish with cinnamon and orange peel, if desired.
- New Country Fare: Glorious Liqueurs Edited by Mary Aurea Morris ISBN: 0-9627403-1-4