Author: Chief Mixologist
Recipe type: Non-Alcoholic Drinks
- 1/3 Cup milk; (or to taste)
- 1 3 stick cinnamon
- 6 green cardamoms, whole
- 4 cloves, whole
- 12 black peppercorn; (optional)
- 12 teaspoons sugar; (or to taste)
- 6 teaspoons leaf tea (heaping) or 9 tea bags (orange pekoe)
- Combine water and milk in a deep pan, and bring to a boil.
- Add the spices and sugar.
- Stir to blend, and turn off the heat.
- Cover the pan, and let the spices soak for at least 10 minutes.
- Add the tea leaves or tea bags, and bring the water to a second boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Uncover, check the color and taste, and if desired add more milk and sugar.
- Strain the tea into a warm teapot, and serve immediately.
- Note: This is the way traditional spiced tea is made.
- You may, however, omit the milk or sugar, or both, in which case reduce the quantity of tea to 2 heaping teaspoons or 3 tea bags.
- Classic Indian Cooking by Julie Sahni