Laphroaig Trick or Treat
This Scotch delectation is ideal for the Halloween season. It's no trick we're using a premium single-malt Scotch in a blended drink, but Oh, what a treat it is!
Author: Chief Mixologist
Recipe type: Alcoholic Beverages
Serves: 1 drink
- 1 1/2 ounces Laphroaig 10-Year-Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky
- 3 ounces natural apple cider
- 1 ounce fresh Lemon Sour (recipe below)
- 2 Cups water
- 1 1/2 Cups sugar
- 1/4 Cup corn syrup
- 1/2 Cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 Cup fresh lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons lime zest
- non-reactive pot
- fine mesh strainer
- 32 ounce bottle
- Build over ice in order. Garnish with a lemon wedge.
- Pour the water, sugar, corn syrup and lime zest into a pot. Heat on low and gently stir with a spoon until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add the fresh lemon juice and fresh lime juice to the mixture.
- Pour the liquid into a 32-ounce bottle using a very fine-mesh strainer. Place it in the refrigerator for at least an hour before using, so it can properly chill.
- If you're in a hurry or only want to make a small amount of lemon sour, use equal measurements of sugar, cold water and fresh lemon juice and shake vigorously.
Also referred to as "bar mix," "simple syrup" or "sweet and sour mix," the recipe for Lemon Sour can be made from scratch at home for a fraction of the cost of commercial mixers and kept in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.