Hot Buttered Cider with Ginger and Cinnamon
Warm yourself with this fragrantly spiced, nonalcoholic beverage after a frosty night of caroling.
Author: Chief Mixologist
Recipe type: Non-Alcoholic Beverages, Punches
- 4 Cups water
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons whole cloves
- 3 Tablespoons whole allspice
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 1/4 Cup sliced candied or crystallized ginger
- 6 Cups apple cider
- 2 Cups orange juice
- 1/2 Cup lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 1 stick butter, cut into thin slices
- 16 cinnamon sticks, for serving
- Mix the water and sugar in a large non-aluminum saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cloves, allspice, cinnamon and ginger.
- Let the mixture stand for 1 hour or longer.
- Strain into a bowl and return to the saucepan.
- Stir in the apple cider, orange juice and lemon juice.
- Serve in mugs with a slice of butter on top and a cinnamon stick.
The punch may be prepared several hours ahead and reheated before serving, if desired. From "Seasons Greetings" by Marlene Sorosky.
Serving size: 1 6-ounce serving Calories: 163 Fat: 6g Carbohydrates: 29g Sodium: 64mg Protein: <1g Cholesterol: 16mg