Hopkins Neolithic Egg Nog
Author: Chief Mixologist
Recipe type: Punches
Serves: 1 batch
- 12 egg whites
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 4 Cups heavy cream, beaten
- 4 Cups milk
- 4 Cups Bourbon
- 1 Cup dark Rum e.g., Myer's Rum
- Beat whites stiff; beat in about 1/2 cup sugar.
- Beat yolks until very light with about 1 cup sugar and the salt.
- Combine and stir until thoroughly blended.
- Add cream, then milk, then Bourbon.
- Beat well.
- Add rum.
- Store in a cold cellar for a week.
- Serve with freshly-grated nutmeg.
- The egg nog should be ladled from the bottom of the bowl, and never stirred, in order to maintain its layered quality.
- NOTES:* Traditional layered eggnog with bourbon and dark rum -- This is the egg nog that was served at the Hopkins Neolithic Xmas Party, a party that some friends used to have every year.
- We now serve it for our Winter Solstice celebration.
- * An alternate method, preferred by some, is to make a creamy, non-layered egg nog by stirring gently every day.
- : Difficulty: easy.
- : Time: 5-10 minutes preparation; 1 week aging.
Precision: Approximate measurement OK.